Great overview and important information to know about sea star wasting. Chris
Last update: December 2017
Sea Star Wasting Disease summary:
- Has been raging since June 2013.
- Unprecedented in both range, duration and number of species impacted – 20 species of sea star species since 2013 from Alaska to Mexico (local variation in intensity of the disease and which species are impacted the worst). It is one of the largest wildlife die-off events in recorded history.
- A virus has been found in the sick sea stars but this virus has been around for at least 72 years (was isolated in preserved sea stars). A stressor (or stressors) must be reducing the resistance of the sea stars to the virus.Virus is “Sea Star associated Densovirus” (SSaDV) (Hewson, et al www.pnas.org/content/early/2014/11/12/1416625111.abstract ).
- A correlation was found between increased temperature and death in sea stars but that other factors are likely play a role as well (Eisenlord, et al www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4760142).
- Another study found that the disease…
View original post 4,173 more words