Great overview and important information to know about sea star wasting. Chris
Last update: August 2017
Sea Star Wasting Disease summary:
- Has been raging since June 2013.
- Unprecedented in both range, duration and number of species impacted – 20 species of sea star species since 2013 from Alaska to Mexico (local variation in intensity of the disease and which species are impacted the worst)
- A virus has been found in the sick sea stars but this virus has been around for at least 72 years (was isolated in preserved sea stars). There is a stressor that is likely reducing the resistance of the sea stars to the virus.Virus is “Sea Star associated Densovirus” (SSaDV) (Hewson, et al www.pnas.org/content/early/2014/11/12/1416625111.abstract ).
- A correlation was found between increased temperature and death in sea stars but that other factors are likely play a role as well (Eisenlord, et al www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4760142).
- Another study found that the disease also progressed when temperatures have decreased. (Menge, et al https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0157302
View original post 4,060 more words